Information Technology is critical to the success of Norfolk Southern and as technology evolves, it becomes an even more critical factor to the success of transportation in the future. Our NS Information Technology professionals keep the corporate network and computing systems running 24/7, every day of the year. We manage and leverage a diverse technical infrastructure capable of processing millions of transactions a day to plan, schedule, manage and track hundreds of thousands of shipments across our vast transportation network; a network that spans virtually the eastern half of the United States. Even now, we are developing the next generation of systems that will enable our business to continue to compete and thrive. Come join us!
Your Opportunities at NS
We look for technically astute and motivated team players for exciting opportunities within Norfolk Southern’s IT department. Our full service team involves virtually every technical discipline: software development, systems support, help desk, operations centers, PC/LAN, information security, project management, network design and operations, architecture, business intelligence, database administration, SAN administration and system administration. While the majority of our opportunities are in our main corporate locations (Atlanta, GA, Roanoke, VA and Norfolk, VA); we do also have opportunities in various field locations located throughout the eastern United States. Join one of our technical teams and be a part of developing and supporting information technology that enables and innovates the future of transportation:
- Systems/Network Administration: Join one of our system teams as they design, build, deploy and manage leading edge technology that provides the basis for our computing infrastructure. Our systems teams are organized around these core technology areas:
- UNIX (AIX, Solaris, LINUX)
- Storage Area Networks
- Network Design
- Network Operations
- Software Development: If software and systems development excites you, then come join our teams that develop and support the information systems critical to our vast operations using a wide cross section of technical disciplines including .NET, J2EE and COBOL.
- Business Intelligence: Join our Business Intelligence team as they build and support our corporate data warehouse and reporting services that include operational dashboards.
- Security Analysis: Join our Information Security team as they protect our corporate resources from the many security threats that typically face fortune 500 corporations.
- Project Management: Join our Project Management Office and help plan, manage, coordinate and direct our IT projects from thought to finish.
- PC/LAN: Join our PC/LAN team as they provide the daily computing support to our employees so that our full range of computing devices may be used effectively and efficiently.
Graduating from college in the near future? Jump start your career by joining our Management Trainee program for IT. We look for suitable candidates having a bachelor’s degree in a technically oriented area (computer science, MIS, electrical engineering, mathematics, etc.) and the desire to learn. We expect candidates to have excellent communication, problem solving and analytical skills. We hire trainees for virtually all of our technical disciplines so we invite you to look at the various opportunities we currently have available. Come join us to get your career started on the right track!
Experienced IT Professionals
Do you already have proven years of IT experience in the corporate arena? We value your experience and skills so consider applying for openings we occasionally have for experienced professionals among our various IT disciplines. You’ll find a professional, enthusiastic and ethical working environment where you can thrive and fully leverage your skills. Our requirements vary throughout the year so if you are interested be sure to frequently review our openings.
Are you looking to gain valuable corporate experience to augment your formal collegiate education? Consider one of our Co-op or a summer intern positions where you will work with our various IT teams to develop, build and support complex information systems.
Compensation and Benefits
We offer competitive compensation and benefits for our employees. NS offers a package that includes medical, dental, life insurance, retirement savings plan, relocation and tuition assistance. Additionally, employees are eligble for the bonus program that is granted based upon corporate performance goals.
Your Future with NS
Once you’ve joined the NS Information Technology team, you will find an exciting career track ahead! We provide our staff opportunities to rotate among our various IT disciplines so that their skills and knowledge continue to grow. As you progress, you may move among these various disciplines to gain a complete understanding and knowledge of what it takes to run the vast IT infrastructure that enables our business!
As part of our team, you will take part in providing technology innovations to continually support our vast corporate operations using ever changing technical components. Given the rapid evolution in technology, ongoing training is a necessity and will be provided so that we continually develop the technical skills relevant to our corporation to move our technical capabilities ever forward.
As a transportation and logistics corporation, we know how to deliver, so come join us! From freight cars to intermodal containers; from technology to outstanding customer service; from a great work environment to careers! It’s our ultimate goal to provide our customers with the future of transportation and our employees with opportunities to succeed. Start your future with us today and help us deliver!
To view our current opportunities visit our website at www.nscorp.com/careers
- Click on Search & Apply for Positions
- Click on the Information Technology Trainee position
- Click on the Submit Your Application button.