Skip to main content


Browse EAP FAQs

How can EAP help me?

EAP representatives have extensive training and are qualified substance abuse professionals.  They help you identify and resolve chemical dependency problems. They are available to help you or a family member get confidential evaluations, refer you to health care providers and community resources, and provide ongoing moral support.

Are EAP services confidential?

Drug and alcohol assessments take place off railroad property, and EAP Representatives keep records confidential, following all Health Information Portability and Accountability Act (HIPPA) rules.

Will participation in EAP cause me to miss work?

If you participate in DARS before committing a rule violation, your EAP Representative will arrange for your confidential leave and help you identify sickness benefits to which you might be entitled.

What does EAP cost?

While the DARS program does not cover hospitalization or medical treatments, most employees can obtain benefits under their NS medical plan. 

If I need help with a substance abuse problem or if my supervisor recommends I get help, do I have to use EAP?

DARS is voluntary. You can obtain help through other community resources. The critical thing is that you get help. Supervisors have been trained to recognize possible substance use disorder problems that can affect work performance.

How often can I use EAP?

While DARS participation is typically a one-time event, an employee in relapse can volunteer to access the program again without consequences IF he or she has not been referred to the program for a rule violation related to alcohol or drug use.

If I suspect a co-worker is under the influence of alcohol or drugs, do I need to report him?

An employee working under the influence of alcohol or drugs puts himself, co-workers, and the company at risk of injury or accidents. You should immediately report concerns to your supervisor, who can assist the employee in getting help.

If I receive a DUI while off-duty, do I have to report it to NS?

Each department has its own reporting policies. Contact your supervisor and/or union representative to learn your department’s requirements.