Norfolk Southern keeps your business moving by shipping generators, transformers, farm and construction machinery, wind energy, and other similar commodities. Depending on the type of machinery you want to ship, certain dimensions might require special handling.
When clearance requests are required:
- Is your shipment over 200,000 lbs?
- Is your shipment over 10’6 in width?
- Is your shipment over 15’6 in loaded height?
- Does the lading overhang the side sills or end of the railcar?
- Does the length of the lading exceed 60 feet?
- Is the load concentrated? (Is the load shorter than 18 feet?)
- Will the car you use be loaded outside the plate as registered in UMLER?
Getting started is easy.
Please be advised that beginning the second quarter of 2020 Norfolk Southern will implement the submission of all clearance requests through the web page.
1. Register at AccessNS to arrange payment. A shipper can apply for credit with NS or arrange for pre-payment by wire transfer. Payment must be made prior to shipment.
2. Complete the clearance request form and attach a drawing of the lading. Email it to email@example.com and copy the appropriate marketing contact at top of right column.
3. Shipper must locate a suitable siding for loading/unloading to/from the rail car prior to shipment. Shipper shall contact NS Industrial Development at IDDimensional@nscorp.com to coordinate a track inspection by NS Engineering and secure permissions from NS Transportation to handle the load. Shipper must also arrange for logistics of unloading at the siding prior to shipment, including site inspection for verification of crane and truck access, DOT permits to move load to final site, execution of a Temporary Siding Lease Agreement for Hi-Wide loads, and providing valid Certificate of Insurance to NS Risk Management.