Skip to main content

Access NS Property

How to gain access to railroad property

Browse Access NS Property

Safety of our employees, of individuals in the communities in which we operate, and individuals granted permission to enter railroad property, is our priority.  If you require access to NS property to perform work, you must submit an application to secure railroad approval.  Verbal authorization is not valid.

Entry onto railroad property may require the presence of a flagman.  Any inquiries regarding flagging should be sent to

There are two distinct categories of Right of Entries: Non-Environmental Right of Entry and Environmental Right of Entry. Non-environmental Right of Entry examples of work include non-intrusive surveys, soil sampling not for environmental purposes, temporary access for work adjacent to NS property, for minor maintenance and inspection of existing public structures such as bridges, roadways, and resurfacing of grade crossings (no change to the physical footprint of the crossing).