Safety comes first at Norfolk Southern. Our corporate vision is to “Be the safest, most customer-focused, and successful transportation company in the world.”
Schedule railroad safety training
Railroad rights of way can be dangerous, so get safety training before coming onto NS property. To schedule a highway-rail safety presentation at your workplace, club, school, fair, or special event, contact your state’s Operation Lifesaver coordinator.
Transport hazardous materials safely.
Environmental responsibility is a core value at NS. The railroad can deny any lease or sales requests based on environmental concerns. NS prohibits the following on NS property:
- electrical transformer repair or reconditioning
- asbestos manufacturing
- blast furnaces
- steel works
- rolling and finishing mills
- smelting and/or refining
- wood treatment or tie plants
- salvage operations
- junk yards
- scrap dealers
- drum or barrel reconditioners
- battery recycling
- tire storage or recycling
- waste disposal operations of any kind, including landfills
- surface impoundments and waste piles
- sewage systems
- electroplating operations
- fuel blending
- waste or used oil recycling or reclamation
- explosives disposal
- manufacturing or detonation
- bulk oil storage.
- any facility requiring a TSD hazardous waste permit and any hazardous waste transload facility
In case of emergency
Contact NS Police Communications at 800-453-2530.