Skip to main content

Insurance Requirements

Make sure you are insured.

Browse Insurance Requirements

Norfolk Southern requires tenants and licensees to secure, at their own expense, liability insurance from approved companies. 

What insurance do I need?

NS typically requires the following types of insurance:

  • Commercial general liability insurance
  • Automobile liability insurance
  • Worker’s compensation insurance
  • Railroad protective liability insurance (during construction and maintenance)

How much coverage does NS require?

For commercial leases, NS usually requires a commercial general liability insurance policy with a combined single limit of not less than $2 million per occurrence of injury, death, damage, loss, or destruction of property.

NS provides specific insurance requirements in tenant/licensee agreements. Make sure to include NS as an additional insured on all liability policies.

Contact for insurance questions

Risk Management
Norfolk Southern Corporation
3 Commercial Place
Norfolk VA 23510-2191