The Norfolk Southern Exhibit Car, a traveling showcase highlighting the Thoroughbred of Transportation, will tour 23 cities in 2008.
The nine-state May-December itinerary for the rebuilt passenger coach will include a five-city whistle-stop train operated by Norfolk Southern to promote safe transportation of hazardous materials, as well as three special trains supporting Operation Lifesaver, the national rail safety education group.
The Exhibit Car, which has hosted some 1.5 million people in several hundred communities since 1971, houses interactive displays featuring Norfolk Southern’s transportation network. New for the 2008 tour is an updated locomotive simulator that puts guests in the engineer’s seat in control of a virtual train.
Here is the 2008 Exhibit Car tour schedule:
- May 10: Roanoke, Va., O Winston Link Museum Rail Heritage Festival
- May 17: Old Fort, N.C., Old Fort Rails and Trails
- May 23, 24: Shenandoah, Va., Memorial Day Festival and Parade
- June 7: Manassas, Va., Manassas Heritage Railway Festival
- June 14: Delphi, Ind., Heritage Transportation Festival
- June 21: Roanoke, Va., Virginia Museum of Transportation African-American Railroad Celebration
- July 2-7: Altoona, Pa., Railroaders Memorial Museum
- July 16: Operation Lifesaver train round trip Roanoke – Lynchburg, Va.
- July 31-Aug. 4: Jasper, Ind., Strassenfest
- Aug. 6: Operation Lifesaver train round trip Delaware-Chillicothe, Ohio
- Aug. 13: Operation Lifesaver train round trip Toledo-Bellevue, Ohio
- Aug. 30, 31: Scranton, Pa., Lackawanna Railfest 2008 at Steamtown National Historic Site
- Sept. 12-19: TRANSCAER Whistle-Stop Tour: Austell, Ga.; Greenville, S.C.; Charlotte, N.C.; Greensboro, N.C.; Roanoke, Va.
- Sept. 26-28: Spencer, N.C., Thomas the Tank Engine at North Carolina Transportation Museum
- Oct. 2-5: Toccoa, Ga., Currahee Military Weekend
- Oct. 8-20: Chattanooga, Tenn., Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum
- Nov. 1: Meridian, Miss., Railfest
- Nov. 5-23: Duluth, Ga., Southeastern Railway Museum
- Dec. 5-7: Strasburg, Pa., Thomas the Tank Engine at Strasburg Railroad
Norfolk Southern Corporation (NYSE: NSC) is one of the nation’s premier transportation companies. Its Norfolk Southern Railway subsidiary operates approximately 21,000 route miles in 22 states and the District of Columbia, serving every major container port in the eastern United States and providing superior connections to western rail carriers. Norfolk Southern operates the most extensive intermodal network in the East and is North America’s largest rail carrier of metals and automotive products.
Norfolk Southern contact: Rick Harris, 757-629-2718 (email@example.com)