Ten children of employees are receiving college scholarships from Norfolk Southern Corporation as part of the company's annual scholarship program.
Recipient of the National Merit Scholarship is Kenneth Listwak, son of Assistant Vice President Utility North Ronald Listwak and Deborah Listwak, and a graduate of Devon Preparatory School, Devon, Pa., who plans to attend Villanova University in Pennsylvania.
Recipients of Norfolk Southern Special Scholarships are:
- Galen Bakos, son of Bridge And Building Foreman Jeff Bakos and Jayne Bakos, and a graduate of Valley High School, New Kensington, Pa., who plans to attend Pennsylvania State University at University Park;
- Megan Hilands, daughter of Machine Operator Daniel Hilands and Deborah Hilands, and a graduate of Richland High School, Johnstown, Pa., who plans to attend Johns Hopkins University;
- Wesley Hough, son of Conductor Joseph Hough and Diane Hough, and a graduate of Maconaquah High School, Bunker Hill, Ind., who plans to attend Hanover College in Indiana;
- Maureen McNabb, daughter of Director Marketing James McNabb and Denise McNabb, and a graduate of Northside High School, Roanoke, Va., who plans to attend the College of William and Mary in Virginia;
- Sarah Rhodes, daughter of Conductor James Rhodes and Kimberly Rhodes, and a graduate of Covenant Christian School, Tuscumbia, Ala., who plans to attend Auburn University in Alabama;
- Cory Smith, son of Conductor Edwin Smith and Elizabeth Skiles, and a graduate of Rhea County High School, Evensville, Tenn., who plans to attend Tennessee Technology University;
- Laura Stahley, daughter of Assistant Manager CYO Robert Stahley and Mae Stahley, and a graduate of Morrow High School, Morrow, Ga., who plans to attend the Georgia Institute of Technology;
- Emily Welsh, daughter of Assistant Track Supervisor Timothy Welsh and Anne-Marie Welsh, and a graduate of Mercyhurst Preparatory School, Erie, Pa., who plans to attend the University of Notre Dame; and
- Kaitlin Williams, daughter of Brakeman Seth Williams and Elise Williams, and a graduate of Warwick High School, Newport News, Va., who plans to attend the University of Richmond in Virginia.
National Merit Scholarship Corporation, an independent, nonprofit organization, selects scholarship recipients. For detailed descriptions of the scholarships sponsored by Norfolk Southern and other corporations, refer to the NMSC Web site, www.nationalmerit.org.
Norfolk Southern Corporation (NYSE: NSC) is one of the nation’s premier transportation companies. Its Norfolk Southern Railway subsidiary operates approximately 21,000 route miles in 22 states and the District of Columbia, serving every major container port in the eastern United States and providing superior connections to western rail carriers. Norfolk Southern operates the most extensive intermodal network in the East and is North America’s largest rail carrier of metals and automotive products.