Ten sons and daughters of employees are receiving college scholarships from Norfolk Southern Corporation under the company's annual scholarship program.
Three are recipients of the National Merit Scholarship. They are:
- Nicole Gilreath, daughter of Geri Gilreath, senior technology engineer, and David Gilreath. She will graduate from Kennesaw Mountain High School, Kennesaw, Ga.
- Samuel Gowland, son of Mike Gowland, engineer materials, and Kathe Gowland. He will graduate from Parkview High School, Lilburn, Ga.
- Margaret Squires, daughter of Jim Squires, EVP finance & chief financial officer, and Karen Squires. She will graduate from Matthew F. Maury High School, Norfolk, Va.
Recipients of Norfolk Southern Special Scholarships are:
- Katlyn Baines, daughter of Richard Kearney, foreman, maintenance of way, and Stacey Kearney. She will graduate from Tallwood High School, Virginia Beach, Va.
- William Butler, son of Deb Butler, EVP planning & chief information officer, and Jeffrey Butler. He will graduate from Brookwood High School, Snellville, Ga.
- Michael Cheng, son of Clark Cheng, director operations research, and Yan Yan. He will graduate from Johns Creek High School, Johns Creek, Ga.
- Kevin Lash, son of Dave Lash, system manager service design, and Pamela Lash. He will graduate from Lakeside High School, Atlanta, Ga.
- Tyler Oswalt, son of Scott Oswalt, carman, and Christine George, He will graduate from R. Nelson Snider High School, Fort Wayne, Ind.
- Jennifer Werner, daughter of Tom Werner, VP information technology, and Carolyn Werner. She will graduate from The Westminster Schools, Atlanta, Ga.
- Alexander Zickar, son of Steve Zickar, system manager service design, and Salle Zickar. He will graduate from Hillgrove High School, Powder Springs, Ga.
National Merit Scholarship Corporation, an independent, nonprofit organization, selects scholarship recipients. For detailed descriptions of the scholarships sponsored by Norfolk Southern and other corporations, refer to the NMSC Web site, www.nationalmerit.org.
Norfolk Southern Corporation is one of the nation’s premier transportation companies. Its Norfolk Southern Railway subsidiary operates approximately 20,000 route miles in 22 states and the District of Columbia, serves every major container port in the eastern United States, and provides efficient connections to other rail carriers. Norfolk Southern operates the most extensive intermodal network in the East and is a major transporter of coal and industrial products.
Norfolk Southern contacts: