NORFOLK, Va., Dec. 10 -- Norfolk Southern Corporation (NYSE:NSC) has released its 2018 Corporate Social Responsibility Report, detailing achievements that include record locomotive fuel efficiency and reduced greenhouse gas emissions.
This is the 11th year that Norfolk Southern has issued a report outlining the railroad’s sustainability accomplishments and challenges. For the first time, the report incorporates the annual contributions report of the Norfolk Southern Foundation, the company’s charitable giving arm.
“Our aim is to provide stakeholders a more complete picture of our activities to support the communities we serve and the role that philanthropy plays in the railroad’s sustainability efforts,” said CEO Jim Squires. In 2017, Norfolk Southern and its Foundation contributed more than $10 million to nonprofits across the railroad’s system, from health and human service organizations to cultural, educational, business, and environmental groups.
Among achievements the report highlights, Norfolk Southern in 2017 improved locomotive fuel efficiency by 5 percent versus 2016, conserving 23 million gallons of diesel fuel and avoiding more than 233,750 metric tons of GHG emissions. The railroad has reduced its GHG emissions intensity by 15 percent since 2010 and lowered absolute GHG emissions for three consecutive years – delivering carbon- and cost-efficient service.
“As a freight rail transportation company,” Squires said, “Norfolk Southern has a unique opportunity to help businesses both grow and achieve their sustainability goals, such as reducing their supply-chain carbon footprint.”
In other achievements detailed in the report, Norfolk Southern in 2017:
- Reduced electricity use as measured in kilowatt hours by 4 percent and reduced overall energy costs by nearly 3 percent.
- Trained more than 8,100 emergency responders on how to prepare for and safely respond to potential transportation incidents involving hazardous materials.
- Received the American Chemical Council’s Responsible Care® Partner of the Year Award for exemplary performance and safety record in the transport of chemical products during 2017.
- Rolled out its “Tell Me” safety campaign, focused on peer-to-peer safety communications and the company’s goal to achieve zero accidents and injuries.
- Held its first “Inspire! Summit,” a two-day employee workshop to promote diversity and inclusion at the company.
“Norfolk Southern is proud of the progress we have made on our journey to be the industry leader in corporate social responsibility,” Squires said. “Every day, we aspire to industry-best performance – in safety, in service, and in stewardship.”
Norfolk Southern today also posted its 2018 filing with CDP, formerly Carbon Disclosure Project, a voluntary disclosure of the company’s carbon emissions and steps being taken to reduce its carbon footprint and identify climate-change risks.
About Norfolk Southern
Norfolk Southern Corporation (NYSE: NSC) is one of the nation’s premier transportation companies. Its Norfolk Southern Railway Company subsidiary operates approximately 19,500 route miles in 22 states and the District of Columbia, serves every major container port in the eastern United States, and provides efficient connections to other rail carriers. Norfolk Southern operates the most extensive intermodal network in the East and is a major transporter of coal, automotive, and industrial products.
Media Relations, 404-420-4444 (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Clay Moore, 757-629-2861 (email@example.com)