Norfolk Southern (NYSE:NSC) has released its 2017 corporate responsibility report, Strides in Stewardship, highlighting the railroad’s progress in advancing sustainable freight transportation that benefits employees, customers, communities, suppliers, and shareholders.
The report shows how Norfolk Southern creates long-term value through sustainable business practices that support the four pillars of its strategic plan: safety, service, stewardship of resources, and growth. It is the company’s 10th annual sustainability report.
“Sustainability is an integral part of Norfolk Southern’s daily operations and long-term business strategy,” said Chairman, President and CEO James A. Squires. “Sharing this report with stakeholders reflects the railroad’s commitment to be a responsible corporate steward of the essential resources that make our business possible. We recognize the value inherent in achieving balance between business practices and the world in which we operate, and we are excited about the challenges met and the progress made.”
Among achievements the report highlights, NS in 2016:
Planet: environmental performance
- Achieved record locomotive fuel efficiency, saving approximately 7.4 million gallons of diesel fuel.
- Reduced its greenhouse gas emissions to the lowest levels since 2010, cutting emissions intensity by nearly 2 percent.
- Lowered its kilowatt hours of electricity use by more than 9 percent, reflecting ongoing energy-efficiency initiatives.
Prosperity: economic performance
- Improved network efficiency to near record levels, including a 9 percent increase in train speed and a 7 percent reduction in the average time rail cars dwell in terminals.
- Assisted 71 industries in locating or expanding along NS rail lines, with customer investment of nearly $4 billion and more than 4,600 new customer jobs.
- Presented its first Supplier Sustainability Award to recognize suppliers that demonstrate commitment to sustainable business practices.
- Awarded nearly $7.3 million in Norfolk Southern Foundation grants to communities in support of education, health and human services, arts and culture, and the environment.
People: Social Performance
- Rolled out a safety train that provides first responders across NS’ network training on safe response to potential rail incidents.
- Provided all operations employees with training on how to identify and reduce safety risks in the workplace.
- Reduced the number of train accidents for the second consecutive year.
- Continued strides in hiring women and military veterans, part of the company’s strategy to increase its talent pool and workforce diversity.
Learn more by reading the full report on Norfolk Southern’s corporate website www.nscorp.com.
About Norfolk Southern
Norfolk Southern Corporation (NYSE: NSC) is one of the nation’s premier transportation companies. Its Norfolk Southern Railway Company subsidiary operates approximately 19,500 route miles in 22 states and the District of Columbia, serves every major container port in the eastern United States, and provides efficient connections to other rail carriers. Norfolk Southern operates the most extensive intermodal network in the East and is a major transporter of coal, automotive, and industrial products.
Jon Glass, 757-629-2789 (email@example.com)
Clay Moore, 757-629-2861 (firstname.lastname@example.org)