Norfolk Southern Corporation has recognized the safety performance of 43 of its rail transportation customers with the Thoroughbred Chemical Safety Award for 2007.
The awards, given annually for 12 years, are presented to companies that ship more than 1,000 carloads of hazardous chemicals without incident.
“These valued customers have set the example for safe handling of chemicals transported by rail,” said Norfolk Southern Chief Executive Officer Wick Moorman. “Their record of zero incidents demonstrates their commitment to safety in the workplace and in the community. Norfolk Southern is pleased to recognize their accomplishments.”
Customers earning the award for 2007 are:
- Airgas Carbonic Inc.
- Akzo Nobel Chemicals Inc.
- American Ecology Corporation
- The Andersons, Inc.
- ArcelorMittal USA
- Archer Daniels Midland Company plant at Peoria, Ill.
- Aventine Renewable Energy, Inc.
- Chemtrade Logistics Inc.
- The Dow Chemical Company
- E.I. DuPont de Nemours and Company plant at Belle, W.Va.
- Georgia Gulf Corporation
- Global Ethanol, LLC
- Hawkeye Renewables, LLC
- Horsehead Corporation
- Huntsman Corporation
- Ineos Oligomers
- International Commodities Export Corporation
- INVISTA S.à.r.l.
- Kemira Water Solutions, Inc.
- Koch Mineral Services
- Koppers Inc.
- Linde, Inc.
- Lucite International Inc.
- Marathon Petroleum Company LLC
- NOVA Chemicals (Canada Ltd.)
- Nucor Corp.
- NuStar Marketing LLC
- Olin Corporation Chlor Alkali Division plants at Augusta, Ga., and Charleston, Tenn.
- PCS Phosphate plant at Savannah, Ga.
- PPG Industries, Inc.
- The Procter & Gamble Manufacturing Co.
- Rhodia, Inc.
- Rohm and Haas Company
- Sunbelt Chlor Alkali Partnership
- Suncor Energy Inc.
- Sunoco Chemicals Inc. plants at Frankford, Pa., Haverhill, Ohio, and Westville, N.J.
- Terra Industries Inc.
- Valero Marketing & Supply Company
- WRB Refining LLC
Norfolk Southern Corporation (NYSE: NSC) is one of the nation’s premier transportation companies. Its Norfolk Southern Railway subsidiary operates approximately 21,000 route miles in 22 states and the District of Columbia, serving every major container port in the eastern United States and providing superior connections to western rail carriers. Norfolk Southern operates the most extensive intermodal network in the East and is North America’s largest rail carrier of metals and automotive products.