Forty customers of Norfolk Southern Corporation (NYSE: NSC) have earned the company’s Thoroughbred Chemical Safety Award for 2008.
The award, given annually for 13 years, is presented to each company or facility that ships more than 1,000 carloads of hazardous chemicals without incident. The 2008 awards go to 35 corporations and five plants that together safely handled nearly 98,000 carloads.
“We are happy to recognize the safety achievements of these valued customers,” said Norfolk Southern CEO Wick Moorman. “They have demonstrated an unwavering commitment to safety as priority one in transporting chemicals that are potentially dangerous if mishandled. In partnership with Norfolk Southern, these customers have shown the value of rail as the safest way to move their products. We applaud them for sharing our dedication to safety.”
Customers earning the award for 2008 are:
- American Ecology Corporation
- The Andersons, Inc., Ethanol Division
- ArcelorMittal USA
- Cargill Biofuels
- E.I. DuPont de Nemours and Company plant at Belle, W.Va.
- ERCO Worldwide
- Georgia Gulf Chemicals & Vinyls LLC
- Global Ethanol LLC
- Husky Marketing and Supply Company
- INEOS USA LLC
- International Commodities Export Corporation
- INVISTA S.à.r.l.
- Kemira Water Solutions, Inc.
- Koppers Inc.
- Linde, Inc.
- Lyondell Chemical Company
- Marathon Petroleum Company LLC
- Marquis Energy
- NOVA Chemicals (Canada Ltd.)
- Nucor Corp.
- NuStar Marketing LLC
- Occidental Chemical Corporation plant at Evans City, Ala.
- Olin Corporation Chlor Alkali Division
- PPG Industries, Inc.
- The Procter & Gamble Manufacturing Co.
- Rhodia, Inc.
- Rohm and Haas Company
- Silver Eagle Refining Inc.
- Sunbelt Chlor Alkali Partnership
- Suncor Energy Marketing Inc.
- Sunoco Chemicals Inc. plants at Frankford, Pa., and Haverhill and Toledo, Ohio
- Targa Resources
- United Refining Co.
- Valero Marketing and Supply Company
- WRB Refining LLC
Norfolk Southern Corporation (NYSE: NSC) is one of the nation’s premier transportation companies. Its Norfolk Southern Railway subsidiary operates approximately 21,000 route miles in 22 states and the District of Columbia, serves every major container port in the eastern United States, and provides superior connections to western rail carriers. Norfolk Southern operates the most extensive intermodal network in the East and is North America’s largest rail carrier of metals and automotive products.