Thoroughbred Sustainability Partner Awards
Norfolk Southern is proud to introduce the inaugural Thoroughbred Sustainability Partner Awards, a new annual opportunity to recognize our customers and suppliers who are leaders in sustainability. The awards recognize achievements in three achievement pillars: innovation, energy efficiency, and environmental stewardship.
Award winners will be acknowledged in the industry for their sustainability leadership and enjoy brand recognition for their commitment to a more sustainable supply chain. Winners will also be appointed to a team of thought-leaders who will collaborate with other industry colleagues to shape the future of sustainability in the supply chain.
Norfolk Southern’s customers and suppliers that have developed industry-leading sustainability initiatives in the supply chain, tied to any of the three achievement pillars, will be able to submit nominations for the new awards from September 1, 2022 to September 30, 2022. There are separate award categories for each of the three pillars. NS’ customers and suppliers may provide a submission for one, two or all three of the categories, but can only submit one nomination per category. If any aspect of the submission is confidential, it should be marked as such.
Nominations should be submitted here:Download PDF 157 KB
Eligibility requirements for the Thoroughbred Sustainability Partner Award are as follows:
- Applicants must be from Norfolk Southern’s customers and suppliers (intermodal, coal, metals & construction, automotive, chemicals, ag/forest/CP, suppliers).
- Only results which include measurable progress in 2021 are eligible.
- Submissions should be based on transportation industry-relevant achievements.
The three award categories are:
The Energy Efficiency Award is intended to recognize corporate programs achieving energy efficiency savings. Submissions should emphasize quantitative savings and results rather than qualitative indicators.
The Innovation Award is intended to recognize technology innovations that have significantly contributed to a more sustainable future. Submissions must demonstrate how these innovations are novel, relevant, and impactful:
- Novel: the innovation must have been developed, implemented, or have measurable impact in the last year.
- Relevant: the innovation needs to be primarily related to sustainability and be relevant to the transportation sector.
- Impactful: the innovation needs to have clear, quantitative evidence that can be cited to demonstrate the sustainability impact.
ENVIRONMENTAL STEWARDSHIP AWARD:
The Environmental Stewardship Award is intended to recognize outstanding efforts promoting stewardship of the environment. . Submissions must demonstrate how these innovations are novel, relevant, and impactful:
- Novel: some portion of the stewardship activity must have occurred in the last year.
- Relevant: the stewardship activity must be relevant to the transportation sector.
- Impactful: the stewardship needs to represent on-going activity and have clear, quantitative evidence that can be cited to demonstrate the sustainability impact.
Winners will be selected based on a committee comprised of Norfolk Southern marketing and sustainability representatives. Winners will be announced November 2022 and a winner’s celebration will be held in Q1 2023. Winners will also gain membership to the Norfolk Southern Thoroughbred Sustainability Partners for 2023.